Re: [Code] spell name is hanging the MUD

From: The Realms of Tremaria (
Date: 11/27/98

> im guessing this problem is related to one i had
> a long time ago, i made a spell with a dash in it,
> like magic-missile, mr andreason pointed out the
> problem with my approach
> the problem is, there isnt a dash in the chart for
> converting english words into the "magic speach",
> if you look right above the say_magic function you
> will find a chart of all the characters that a spell
> can have in its name
> perhaps the "I" part of your spell is not being found,
> so the function is going into an infinite loop

The logic of this solution sounded very resonable, so I went ahead and
created more entries in the syls[] "chart".  This, however, did not solve
the is still hanging at the same point...

Also, Mr. Greer metioned that log() entries are my best friend.  I agree,
for that is how I resolved where the problem was occuring and what the
problem is.  log() entries do not tell me why things happen as they do,
and that is what I am really looking for so I can correct these errors
before they happen.

Any other suggestions are welcome...


     | Ensure that you have read the CircleMUD Mailing List FAQ:  |
     | |

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : 12/15/00 PST