Re: [CODE] Things todo...

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@mindspring.com)
Date: 12/22/98

At 10:20 PM 12/21/98 -0800, you wrote:
>"Mark A. Heilpern" wrote:
>
>> Instead of just getting into an "i'm right because i know what i'm
>> talking about and you obviously don't" argument, how about providing
>> some examples of things LPC can do that DG_Scripts cannot, so people
>> such as myself can understand where you're coming from (and,
>> possibly add some of the functionality to DG_Scripts)?
>
>Go read a FAQ on MUDs if you want to know what LPC is all about.  You
>seem to be proclaiming that posters should be responsible for giving
>out information on every little thing they state.  If you don't know
>what's being said, look it up rather than wasting everyone's time with
>your condescending hyperbole (he wasn't even close to saying, "I'm
>right because I know what I'm talking about and you obviously don't").

I don't need to go read a FAQ on MUDs to learn about LPC; in my humble
opinion if you come into this mailing list claiming something not currently
in use in CircleMUD is better than what is available, you have a
responsibility to defend that claim without assuming everyone knows what
you're talking about. On the other hand, if you want to say that XXX system
is better than YYY system, when YYY is in use and you're trying to
convince people to adapt XXX, and you don't offer any reasons, you're just
wasting bandwidth. If you proclaim yourself "right" more than once without
offering any reasoning, then you ARE close to saying "I'm right because I
know what I'm talking about....." --- you know you're right (otherwise you
would have nothing to say) and you offer nothing of substance to back it
up.

>Now, for your information, LPC and DG Scripts are nothing alike.  How
>is this?  LPC is a complete programming language for writing a MUD in.
>An LPMUD server is just a driver for LPC code.  It supports functions,
>etc.  There's really no functionality to add to DG Scripts from LPC.
>They're meant to do two completely different things, based on two
>distinct paradigms.

Thank you for this information. I never said they were anything alike, I
asked where the differences were. As for "no functionality to add" that could
make them alike, I've been writing C for 14 years and in that time I've become
very good at it. I've got a good imagination on how code can be adapted to
do things and am competent enough to be published, having written a
book on an operating system (OS-9) that is centered around programming.
Now, before you get condescending, consider thinking about things before
sending mail out to a public forum.

>Oh, and remember, try not to be condescending when it's *you* that
>isn't informed.

I wasn't condescending, I was only saying that if you're going to make a
statement you need to provide reasoning behind it if you want to convince
others. If you lack the maturity to see that, I'm sorry, but you misunderstood
my intentions. I'm pretty certain that of the 500 or so readers of this list,
most were ill-informed on the subject.