Re: Ascii pfiles and new email address

From: George (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/07/99

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Sammy wrote:

>From: Christopher Avans <parka@cdc.net>
>>
>>This is more then a matter of opinion. ASCII is not the way to go. You
>>will lose alot of speed in going all ASCII. And if you do alot fancy work
>>and have your mud load an ASCII file as a shared libary you lose less
>>speed but also gain alot RAM. Binary are hard to work with, but there is
>>alot of utilities to work with them. One of whoch coms with circle.
>
>The 2.0 version of my ascii pfiles system load/save faster than binary.  Try
>it.
>
>I'm looking at the binary pfiles utilities in pl14 and I'm not seeing "alot of
>utilities".  The only one I see that isn't obsolete with ascii pfiles is
>autowiz, which could easily be converted or replaced with a simple script.

As an extremely hackish one-liner (don't bother pointing out problems with
it, I know it doesn't do anything pretty):

egrep "Level: 3[1234]" lib/pfiles/*/*.pfiles | sed 's,lib/pfiles/.+/,,g'

And until bpl13, the binary utilities would happily eat your player file if
you forgot to recompile and install them when you change your format. :)

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.