Re: [CODE][WIN95][Cygnus GNU-Win32]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/26/99

> Nathan Roberts wrote:

> //F/circle30bpl14/src/comm.c:1109: undefined reference to `inet_aton'
> make[1]: *** [../bin/circle] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> BASH.EXE-2.01$
>
> Now I have had heaps of advice from people saying to do things like
> using #include with inet.h in the cygnus folder to several files
> but I keep getting the same error.

Well, they were all wrong.  As you all should know, a call to an
unprototyped function generates a warning during the compilation of
the file containing the call (something along the lines of the
function being implicitly defined).  This is quite different from
an undefined reference error, which you get during linking.  This
error means that the function mentioned wasn't found, and has
nothing to do with whether the function is prototyped or with
header files.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your platform, but it's
obvious that inet_aton is not implemented in the libraries that
are automatically included.  You might want to check for a socket
library (libsocket.a) where library files are stored (/usr/lib on
UNIX systems, usually, but I don't know if the same can be said for
a faux UNIX system), and try adding that to the line to link the
executable (if the library is libsocket.a, then -lsocket will do
it).

-dak