Re: Library Function Tracer

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@mindspring.com)
Date: 02/25/99

I used this attaching to my mud while it was running several times...
(ltrace -p mud-pid), and discovered an overwhelming number of
calls to random and strncmp... so I tried to filter out the random
calls (ltrace -e !random ...) (actually, ltrace -e \!random ...) and got
no output... so I tried to view ONLY the random calls
(ltrace -e random ...) and noticed that even after I kill -9'd the ltrace,
my mud had ceased responding. I suspect that this is caused by
ltrace attaching to the process and not being able to properly
detach upon a kill -9, but I'm only guessing. User beware.

Other than that little problem, I can envision several good uses for this.
George, thank you for telling us about it.

At 07:33 PM 2/24/99 -0800, you wrote:
>If you've used Linux, you probably know about 'strace' to see all of the
>kernel system calls a function does.  Well, there's a software package for
>Linux now that will trace the _C_library_ function calls.  Obviously, this
>is much handier.

[snip]