Re: [RANT] STL complaints (was Languages)

From: Christian Loth (sg618lo@unidui.uni-duisburg.de)
Date: 03/10/99

Greetings,

...not wanting to sound like a C++ apostle but...
Am Mit, 10 Mär 1999 schrieb Chris Jacobson:
> Well, I recently was rereading the Standard Template Library section of
> Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Edition" (highly
> recommended).  I began to like the STL, so began a quest to convert
> LexiMUD to STL (considering my existing LList, Map, and Vector classes
> depreciated in comparison).

[...rants about some STL snipped...]

keep in mind that this must not be true for each and every
implementation of the STL. The STL per se, as defined
by the standard, is a specification, not a concrete
implementation. How good/bad an implementation is,
depends on the vendor.

I like the principles of how the STL has been defined,
and I like coding with them...and concerning binary
size (CPU performance is not exactly a topic for a MUD...)
I'm not happy either, that's why I'm waiting eagerly for
cygnus' re-implementation of the libstdc++ ;)

- Chris

--
Christian Loth
Coder of 'Project Gidayu'