Re: Color

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/23/99

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Defiler wrote:

> I am new to circle and have coded rom for a while, i was wondering if there
> is like a main snippets page for circle or are there even snippets, and is
> circle or rom better, and also does circle have the same colors as a rom
> does :)

RTFF.  The file "FAQ" included in the CircleMud distribution will point
you towards relevant information.  The central CircleMud ftp site
(ftp.circlemud.org) has patches and a bunch of other stuff under the
/pub/CircleMUD/contrib directory.  Ceramic Mouse is the primary web home
for snippets.  That's http://developer.circlemud.org/.  I'll admit, the
CircleMUD camp isn't terribly creative with its URLs.  But we're pretty
well organized.

As for the "colors" -- stock ROM 2.4 doesn't have them to my knowledge.
I'm not sure what you mean by the same colors, anyway.  Every color
implementation I've seen uses the ANSI standard color codes.  That means
there's a total of 16 wonderful colors.  There's an easy-color patch out
there that allows inline colors if that's what you mean.

Now to address the "which one's better" question...I know this isn't what
you were looking for, but it's really a matter of personal opinion.  The
two code-bases fill different niches.  ROM, as a descendant of the Merc
family of Diku, has a much more featureful world.  But the code for
CircleMUD is better developed and serves better as a base upon which to
build a more unique MUD.

From the original announcement of CircleMUD 2.0,

  CircleMUD is highly developed from the programming side, but highly
  UNdeveloped on the game-playing side.  So, if you're looking for a huge
  MUD with billions of spells, skills, classes, races, and areas, Circle
  will probably disappoint you severely.  Circle still has only the 4
  original Diku classes, the original spells, the original skills, and
  about a dozen areas.

  On the other hand, if you're looking for a highly stable,
  well-developed, well-organized "blank slate" MUD on which you can put
  your OWN ideas for spells, skills, classes, and areas, then Circle might
  be just what you're looking for.

-dak