Re: [newbie][question][code]Ascii Pfiles

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/26/99

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Patrick Dughi wrote:

>         Pros:  quick loadtime, alteration in-place, well tested.

Load time is negligable on every system I've seen.  We're loading, what,
12 lines in an ASCII file?!  Probably less than 1k per player.  With the
throughput of most hard drives, load time is *zilch*.  Another advantage
of ASCII player files: you don't need the intermediate structures that
CircleMUD is filled with.  That means no more char_to_store() and
store_to_char() functions since ASCII player files can write strings
without having to write the length (or have the length be static as
Circle does).

Note that just using mmap() makes ASCII player files *fast*, powerful, and
allows you to make in-memory modifications (and the disk version is then
synched to match).

-dak