Re: [linux][system] suid and file permissions

From: David Taylor (davidt@xfiles.nildram.co.uk)
Date: 04/03/99

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Bill Long wrote:

> okay. i have my mud set up to boot on system boot(from the rc.local
> file)
> my mud has its own user and group.  the trouble is, when i run it from
> the rc.local file, it gets run as roots UID. so all the files created
> during the session(new players, log files, etc) are owned by root.

The script currently says something like

/path/to/circle/autorun &

yes?

change it to

su -c user "/path/to/circle/autorun &"

[ If you really wanted to use the sticky bit, somethng like:
   chown <user>.<group> -R /path/to/circle
   chmod u+s,g+s /path/to/circle
   chmod u+s,g+s /path/to/circle/bin/circle
   could work.
]

--
David Taylor