Re: [configure problems][code]Help.

From: David Taylor (davidt@xfiles.nildram.co.uk)
Date: 04/15/99

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Anthony Benjamin wrote:

> Today, I logged into my shell account and decided to put a seperate
> bpl15 directory and start patching it, etc making it ready to use..I
> tried to run configure and this is what happens...
>
> configure
> configure[518]: cannot create /dev/null: Permission denied
> checking for less... (cached) less
> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... configure[671]: cannot
> create /dev/null: Permission denied

Hmm.. Looks like somehow or other /dev/null got deleted, or has turned
into a plain file...

do 'ls -l /dev/null', it should output something like

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       1,   3 May  5  1998 /dev/null

If it doesnt start with 'c', isn't world writeable, or doesn't exist try
asking the sysadmin.

> it keeps going after that...but that Permission denied keeps coming
> up....I am not real familiar with *Nix systems...so...All I know is they
> are running OpenBSD and it worked once before..and now it doesn't
> work...
>
> ideas?
>
> anthony

David Taylor