[AD] BLACKFIRE

From: Nocturnal Occulto (ronnyi@ifi.uio.no)
Date: 05/09/99

********************** B L A C K F I R E ***************************
GREETING FELLOW ADVENTURERS
Today Sunday 18.00(GMT+1) (In about 4 hours after you recieve this
mail) I will open a network based game I have been programming on
for almost 1 year. It is called Blackfire and is a medieval fantasy
roleplaying game. It is recommended for a mature audience and
roleplaying is required. If you are not familiar with the concept of
roleplaying please take the time to read the attachment to this mail,
it explains the basics.

WHAT IS BLACKFIRE?
What is Blackfire? At the simplest level, Blackfire is a text
based online game with a medieval fantasy theme. As a player
you customize a character and enter a imaginary world, one similar
to medieval Europe but with magic and dragons and demons thrown
in for good measure. Players will enter the game as brave
adventurers in search of fame, create a character (by choosing
class, race, gender, and name), and then interact through text
commands with the environment and other players. One of the most
exciting aspects of Blackfire and one which is emphasized, is this
ability to interact with other players in real time, sometimes as
friends and other times as foes.

While an exact truth, stating that Blackfire is a game does not begin to

embody any of the intricacies and realities of what it is like to play
Blackfire. There is a working economy, religion, weather patterns, a
huge wilderness that connects areas and all sorts of details that help
bring a textured, living world to the player. Above all, Blackfire is
about
complete immersion into this carefully crafted world, hence roleplaying
is strongly encouraged. For more background information about the
world of Blackfire, read the story.

Now, entering our world, you will travel among vastly different areas,
encounter the monsters and people that inhabit these areas, and, best
of all, compete with one another for equipment, superiority, and
recognition. You will likely find that you cannot succeed alone and you
must make friends, or at least alliances, to survive. Occasionally, you
may require the assistance of a higher power, but the gods who watch
over the world should not be called upon at a whim.

Step inside, young adventurer, if you dare. Within these realms only
your imagination is a limit.

HOW DO I PLAY BLACKFIRE?
In order to begin your adventures in the world of Blackfire, you need to

connect to the game via telnet. This can be accomplished through use
of a telnet application, a MUD client(check out:
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/clients.html),
or Unix/Linux telnet. For starters you may want to try one of the
following:

telnet birk113.studby.uio.no 4000
  ^         ^                 ^
  |         |                 |_ This is the port the game is running on

  |         |_ birk113.studby.uio.no this is the game Internet address
  |_ Telnet is the program used to interact with the game

If you do not have a telnet application installed, you will need to
either
install a telnet client or a mud client. Be sure to pick a application
that
supports ANSI-color, since this is very important to play the game
properly.

For more detailed information check out:
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/connect.html
Interested in how the game started? Check out:
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/genesis.html
You also might wanna peek at the rules and policies of the game
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/rules.html
You should read the background story of the game carefully, it is
found at:
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/story.html
The story is also included as an attachment to this email.

AFTER LOGGING ON I AM COMPLETELY LOST, WHAT DO I DO?
i)  Read the documentation provided on the web pages carefully
    (The official Blackfire web-site is found at:
    http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire/)
ii) Type: help newbie
    while in the game, and read this information carefully.
iii)If this does not help either try and type:
    pray I am completely lost, please help me!
    This will send a message to all the creators of the game
    and if they are available they will try and guide you trough the
    game.

GETTING FRUSTRATED?
Blackfire is a very complex game with several hundred commands, but
fortunately you do not need to learn them all to play the game. You
will pick up the most basic ones as you go along. The game can be hard
to understand if the concepts of text-based games, muds and roleplaying
are new to you. Be patient and spend a few hours trying to learn the
game,
interact with other players, check out the help system(type help while
playing). Once hooked on the game, I promise it will be hard t stop
playing :)

Best Regards Nocturnal Occulto

QUESTIONS? INTERESTED IN DEVLOPMENT? GAME FEATURES..
Any questions and comments can be mailed to ronnyi@ifi.uio.no.
If you are interested in helping out on game development you should
be familiar with the game and atleast tried it out several days. Then
talk with a god. You must be 18+ years to be a part of the development
team, and good writing skills along with an imagination is required :)

THE GAME IS FOUND AT:
birk113.studby.uio.no 4000 or try the ip address 129.240.214.143 4000

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------

http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi                           ronnyi@ifi.uio.no

---------------- In a world without fences, who need gates? --------------------