Re: mud that has no circlemud world files or mobs

From: Tom Dailey (tomd@waymark.net)
Date: 05/10/99

After mudding for 8 years and running a mud for 4 years I definitely have
an opinion on these matters.

I agree with Andrew about letting people take roles and run with them.  In a
normal
business culture you have several stages to a successful organization
(forming, storming,
norming, performing) with people figuring out their roles in the
forming/storming stages and
redefining those roles throughout the businesses lifespan.

I have found that people will gravitate towards what they do best and if
you, as the Imp of the mud
do not agree with what they think their role should be, then redefine it for
them.

I had a coder who was an amazing coder and I credit him for redefining
Zombie and making alot of
what it is today, but he was the absolute worst at player relations.  As a
matter of a fact, if he was the
President of a nation, I would bet the world would be at war today.  He
banned people for complaining,
deleted long standing players for criticizing changes etc...

Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble.  I could go into why people started their
own muds in the first place, but
that's for another discussion.

Just remember this, "It's only a game".

Tom