Re: [CODE] Time and other musings

From: Edward J Glamkowski (eglamkowski@angelfire.com)
Date: 06/17/99

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:20:44   Xual wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Edward J Glamkowski wrote:
>
>> >Secondly, has anyone developed a rou1nd-time based command system, like that
>> >of GemStine III and Dragonrealms?
>> >Like if you don't want your players abusing a command like 'steal' by simply
>> >spamming it, you put a round-time on it, which is the number of seconds it
>> >takes before you can execute the command again. Obviously, as you get better
>> >in the skill your round-time for that skill-command decreases. Do players
>> >mind this?
>>
>> Check out wait states.
>> Look in the bash command for an example of how to
>> use them.
>
>Sounds more like a job for an event system to me...

First, for the person who asked the question, you
can set variable lenth wait states - the last argument
is how long the player must wait.  Make it a big
argument for complex actions and a small one for
simple actions.  Or maybe
(11 - GET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_x) / 10.0) so that the wait
will vary from 1 - 10 based upon skill level.

In any event, Xual makes (or rather, implies) the point
that the wait state takes effect *after* the action has
been executed, but that it often makes more sense for
the delay to occur *before* the action.  Spell casting
is a classic example.  Events are the way to handle
the pre-action delay, wait states deal out post-action
delays.
So, you would need to pick and choose depending on the
specifics of each action.

Anyway, you will find examples of several different
event based systems on the ftp site and snippets
pages.