Re: OFF-TOPIC: Anyone using Geocities to post their code... 29 Jun 1999 19:48:08 PDT." <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906291908100.3455-100000@kamisama.dak.com>

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/29/99

"Daniel A. Koepke" writes:
>     (  i) Royalty-free : they don't have to pay you
>     ( ii) Perpetual : it doesn't expire
>     (iii) Irrevocable : you can't revoke the grant (i.e., deny them use)
>     ( iv) Non-exclusive : i.e., not for just what is specified: it et al.
>     (  v) Sublicensable : they can license it to whomever they want

I agree the license is evil, but I think (iv) actually is not as bad;
I'm also not a lawyer, but I think "non-exclusive" just means that
other people might have the same rights, including you.  In other
words, if Yahoo had *exclusive* rights to your work, *only* they could
sublicense it, create derivative works, etc..  However since you're
only granting them NON-exclusive rights, it means other parties
(including the poster) may also use the content in the ways specified.

-JE