Re: Compilers

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@pacific101.com)
Date: 07/28/99

Woohoo, I get to launch out an RTFF (:P):

2.5.  To what platforms has CircleMUD been ported?

Version 3.0, although still officially in beta-testing, is very
portable because it uses the GNU autoconf system, meaning you only
need to type ``configure'' to have it automatically determine various
features of your system and configure the code accordingly.  3.0
compiles without changes under most BSD and SVR4 systems, including
SunOS, Solaris, Ultrix, IRIX, AIX, Linux, BSD/OS, HP/UX, and others.

Version 3.0 is also being ported to various non-UNIX platforms.  As of
patchlevel 14, you can compile Circle under OS/2 2.x and 3.x with the
OS/2 port of gcc, Windows 95/NT using Microsoft Visual C++ version 4.0
LCC, Macintosh with CodeWarrior, Amiga, and Acorn RiscOS.

The older version of the code, Version 2.20, compiles mainly on BSD
UNIX systems but has trouble under SVR4-based systems such as Solaris.
The author has personally compiled and tested v2.20 under Ultrix 4.0,
IRIX 4.0.1, 4.0.4 and 4.0.5, SunOS 4.1.1 and 4.1.3, AIX 3.2, Linux
0.99.x and 1.0.x, and ConvexOS V10.2.  Users have reported that v2.20
compiles with relatively minor changes under NeXTStep 2.1 and 3.0, and
HP/UX 9.0.

Jean-Jack Riethoven <mailto:J.J.M.Riethoven@ab.agro.nl> ported
CircleMUD version 2.20 to the Amiga and has contributed his code for
version 3.0 of CircleMUD.  Questions about the Amiga source should be
directed to Jean-Jack Riethoven, not Jeremy Elson or George Greer.

--HOWEVER, README.WATCOM states--
                     Compiling CircleMUD Version 3.0
                under Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows NT
                           using Watcom v.11

The following information is from Joe Osburn <joeos19@idt.net>.

Circle apparently compiles under 95/NT using Watcom's compiler with
the following changes:

1- Copy conf.h.win to conf.h

2- Rename all the act.* files to other names; the IDE in Watcom apparently
   doesn't like files that start with act.*

3- In Watcom make a new project that is a Windows 95 character mode
   executable; add all of Circle's .c files to it.

4- Remove the line that says "#define chdir _chdir" from sysdep.h

If you have any further information, patches, or more detailed instructions,
please mail them to us at bugs@circlemud.org.
---implying a Windows 95/NT environment.

Anyway, there's some fun FAQs.  :P

-k.