Re: Anybody ever seen a "warm reboot"

From: Rohan Wallace (rohan@senet.com.au)
Date: 12/25/99

> > Please note that copyover 1.5 has a bug in it which causes circlemud to
> > dump a core (crash badly for those who don't know) on unix machines.
> > Despite the fact I emailled the author about it and gave him a fix, no new
> > updates have appeared anywhere that I can find.
> > I am quite happy to email patches to interested people

I had to do some code hacking to get the copyover patch to work correctly
and one day I'll make a patch file out of it, but in the meantime here's
the code to stop the core dump.

In comm.c, copyover_recover:

        CREATE(d->character, struct char_data, 1);
        clear_char(d->character);
        CREATE(d->character->player_specials, struct player_special_data, 1);
        d->character->desc = d;

+        /* create history entries */
+        CREATE(d->history, char *, HISTORY_SIZE);
+        d->history_pos = 0;

        if ((player_i = load_char(name, &tmp_store)) >= 0)
        {
            store_to_char(&tmp_store, d->character);
            GET_PFILEPOS(d->character) = player_i;
            if (!PLR_FLAGGED(d->character, PLR_DELETED))

Rohan Wallace