Re: Repeating prompts in zMUD and bpl16,client or severproblem?was Re: Login?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 12/29/99

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Both zMUD and Rapscillion are very popular MUD clients, and considering
>that I wouldn't want to make the majority of players on a MUD have to
>switch clients in order to make it work right, I think it would be more
>prudent to revert the applicable changes to bpl16.
>
>As an idea for bpl17 how about making the echo_on() and echo_off()
>changes optional by selectively compiling based on a #define (btw I
>would recommend disabling it by default)?

It was originally pointed out by Matthew Bell <cicatrix@krelm.nws.net> and
I searched the RFCs to make sure.

As I said before, your client is broken.  If it claims to be a toaster and
doesn't brown the upper left corner of the bread, you'd be mighty upset.
It's the same in this situation.  Your client claims to do something
(handle IAC messages) and it almost works but not perfectly.  I assure you,
the solution is not to cut the upper left corner out of all bread
manufactured. You'd complain to the vendor and get it fixed or return it
and get another brand.

If you wish to cater to them, that's your choice.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org

(Of course, CircleMUD just drops IAC requests on the floor but that's
better than claiming to and botching the result badly.)