Re: Repeating prompts in zMUD and bpl16,client orseverproblem?was Re: Login?

From: Peter Ajamian (pajamian@cheapsam.com)
Date: 12/29/99

George Greer wrote:

> It was originally pointed out by Matthew Bell <cicatrix@krelm.nws.net> and
> I searched the RFCs to make sure.
>
> As I said before, your client is broken.  If it claims to be a toaster and
> doesn't brown the upper left corner of the bread, you'd be mighty upset.
> It's the same in this situation.  Your client claims to do something
> (handle IAC messages) and it almost works but not perfectly.  I assure you,
> the solution is not to cut the upper left corner out of all bread
> manufactured. You'd complain to the vendor and get it fixed or return it
> and get another brand.
>
> If you wish to cater to them, that's your choice.

Yes, this is true, however, try explaining that to every new player that
just happens to be using (what probably is) the most common MUD client
for Windows or for the Mac, then further convice those players to change
MUD clients because of it.  All the player sees is that your MUD doesn't
work right, and other MUDs work fine.  The problem is that a lot of
players use zMUD or Rapscillion, and they like zMUD or Rapscillion, and
if your MUD doesn't work right on these popular clients then they may
decide to play on a different MUD where thier client works.  For this
reason I believe it may be a good idea to change CircleMUD for these
clients despite the fact that it is indeed the clients that are broken
and not CircleMUD.

Regards, Peter