Re: [NEWBIE] Modding pfile?

From: Dan Merillat (harik@chaos.ao.net)
Date: 02/17/00

JD Smith writes:
> In a message dated 2/13/00 9:53:44 PM Central Standard Time,
> jessh@white-wolf.com writes:
>
> pfiles in stock CircleMUD are binary[1].  So you can't simply open them up in
> pico/edit/whatever to fix them up.  So jacking around with them generally
> incur's a pwipe.  There are various snippets out there to move from binary
> files to ascii ones... Not too hard to install.
>
> [1] atleast in the copy i used last.. havent used circle in a while.. :)

Pfiles in stock circle are binary.  I've seen some attempts to make
them ascii, and found they were rather... badly done.   If people are
complaining about the load time on ascii files, something is horribly
wrong.   I've made an ascii pfile patch that fits cleanly into stock
circle and is quite extendable for new fields.  It's also rather... fast.

As soon as I've finished up labeling things (right now it loops over
spells/skills and uses the numeric value... I'd like it to print out
"Skill.Backstab: 25" and parse that.  However, it's fairly functional now.

it _STILL_ needs to store player objects, however.  Once that's finished
I'll release it to snippets.  If anyone wants what's out now, email me.

--Dan