Newbie -System- Linux: Error when configuring for first time

From: Bartsch, Randy (RBartsch@wbc.edu)
Date: 03/17/00

I have just recently tried to install circle 3 on Mandrake 7. I followed the

explicit instruction which can be found in the doc folder of the download
from
circlemud.org.
However, when I tried to run the configure file by typing ./configure in the

root directory i got the error

checking for less... (cached) less
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
)works... nor the C compiler (gcc
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

What do I do to get the configure program to work properly. (I just recently

installed Mandrake 7.)