Re: [BUG] Large IDNums

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/25/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Pat O'Laughlin wrote:

>I have come across a bug on my MUD.  ID Numbers on new characters are for some
>reason being created EXTREMELY large.  Right now, they are around 25690519.
>They still are created in consecutive order but somehow they skipped a few million
>numbers.  This doesn't seem like a major problem, but if it is I would like to know.  If
>anyone knows why this happens and how to fix it, please let me know.

There was a bug a while ago found by Andrey Fidrya (I think, the ChangeLog
entry is unmarked) that could cause lost/skipped records.  I suppose if one
of those lost records got filled with junk sometime later you could get
that happening.  It's not particularly worrisome if you're on a Unix
machine for reasons I'll write in my next message.