faq and header dependencies

From: Edward J Glamkowski (eglamkowski@angelfire.com)
Date: 03/29/00

Ok, time for more nitpicking ;)

I'm on the pl15-16 patch and I'd like to say
that there seems to be a lot of wasted effort
going on:  every patch level, the entire FAQ
changes, 90% of the change being that a
different line length was used!
Fortunately, I can ignore that part of the
patch and just down load the latest copy of
it off the ftp site, but it is still silly
that this happens.

Pick one, eternal line length for the FAQ and
shoot anybody who changes it...

Also, in 3.5 you give the example of conf.h
needing to be included before sysdep.h or
the compiler will barf.  We actually had a
huge problem with header file dependencies
on my current project at work.  With over
a hundred modules and scores of header files
in three separate directories, we spent an
entire day just sorting through and cleaning
up the whole mess.  So I'm rather sensitive on
the issue of header files and #includes  ;)

If B.h MUST have info from A.h in order to work
properly, B.h should just out right include A.h
so you never have to worry about forgetting it
in a source module, or misordering the includes,
or anything else.

That is to say, sysdep.h should explicitly
include conf.h.  Saves some misery and a little
bit of typing ;)