Re: Infinite Loops zeavon@kilnar.com on Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:46:14AM -0600

From: Christian Loth (chris@gidayu.max.uni-duisburg.de)
Date: 05/01/00

Greetings,

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:46:14AM -0600, Zeavon wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Chris Gilbert wrote:
>
> > It's already in there, signal_setup in comm.c has the section that sets
> > up a virtual timer, after 3 minutes it checks for tics=0, if it doesn't
> > it sets it to 0, and then 3 minutes later checks again.  In theory the
> > mud would reboot after 6 minutes at most.
>
> Seems to me that this would only catch near-infinite loops. Since an
> infinite loop lasts forever, the timer in comm.c will never be reached.

I don't know about the windows platform but in Unix signals are delivered
and handled asynchronously (sp?). That means if caught in an infinite
loop, a signal will execute the code in the signal handler, and after
that is done, it will jump back to the infinite loop.

- Chris

--
Christian Loth
Coder of 'Project Gidayu'