Re: Confusing crash... *sigh* :)

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 05/29/00

On Mon, 29 May 2000, The Merciless Lord of Everything wrote:

>We're currently looking so much at corefiles that we are blue in the face
>(or black/white, you decide.. :), since we're having mysterious crashes
>when people edit new rooms. This is a new crash and as soon as I have some
>more information, I might ask about this... BUT!!
>
>The other day, one of our players type 'get coins from corpse' should be
>pretty much straightforward, *BOOM* Mud crashes, very big ponder about
>this one..

You're probably trashing random parts of memory and as such GDB backtraces
are useless since they're showing the symptoms and not the cause.

Link your MUD with -lefence (Electric Fence) and boot it into mini-mud mode
(unless you have gobs of memory) and then create new rooms and such until
it crashes. If that doesn't do it, try setting the environment variable
EF_PROTECT_BELOW to 1 and then running the MUD with Electric Fence.

There's also a variable called EF_PROTECT_FREE to enable if you suspect its
using previously freed memory.  However, that option will consume even more
memory.  Fortunately, most if it can be swapped out without causing harm to
the machine so just make tons of swap.

--
George Greer            | Sammy's Code - OBuild
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://users.ticnet.com/samedi/code.html