CircleMUD Codebase (was 2 other topics...)

From: Bobby L. Russ (russ@eng.usf.edu)
Date: 05/31/00

        I know that I am in no way an expect coder or Implementor.  I have
a lot I can learn (and a lot I will... thanks to my builders <slight
grumble>).  However, when it came down to it, myself and the builders
decided to use the CircleMUD Codebase for several reasons.  We felt that
it offered us a stable Codebase from the start.  We tried Merc, but it
refused to compile correctly on our server (could have fixed the problems
after some time... but if the stock code won't compile, then I know
there's going to be tons of problems).  We also looked into several others
including Smagu.  We decided that we like the starting point of the
CircleMUD codebase.  I have noticed areas that can be
rather... hmmm... looking for the right word... interesting.  I have
wondered why things crash from time to time.  I've seen better ways to do
some odds and ends.  I have tried to implement changes and fix bugs as I
see them.  The Codebase is excellent in my opinion.  There are things that
could be done better and I am sure as the future Patch Levels and versions
are released it will be done that way.

On Wed, 31 May 2000, George Greer wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Patrick Dughi wrote:
>
> >though; perhaps I should fall back on my old line that 'circlemud is a
> >tense system'.  That is, you cannot push it very far, or it breaks.

        I think that I have pushed the system at times very hard and it
works relatively well... I've had to do a few things to fix problems I
created, but overall, the codebase is one of the best I have found hence
why I am using it.

> We can't prevent crashes.  If someone doesn't know enough, it'll break.
> It's sort of "you must be this tall to ride" sort of thing.
> Unfortunately, that measure is often overestimated by people. Even if we
> wrote it in Perl, Python, or Java, there'd still be ways to break the code.
>
> --
> George Greer

        Definately.  As a technology consultant, I recognize that all too
well.  I have several clients who don't know anything about their
computers.  When they mess it up, it's not necessarily a problem with
their OS, but a problem with them.  I've seen everything from someone
deleting the "unnecessary" directory called "c:\windows" to putting their
floppy on the fridge with a magnet. :-)
        I want to thank all the people who have been helping me as well as
George for his work (and lots of it) on the project.

        Bobby
        multiverse traveler, implementor

"If you have love, you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't
have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have." -Sir James M. Barrie

        Need computer repair, assembly, or advice?
        Feel free to ask me for more information.

http://v-i.hypermart.net -*- http://www.eng.usf.edu/~russ