Re: [CODE] gethostbyaddr

From: Juliano Ravasi Ferraz (jferraz@linkway.com.br)
Date: 06/27/00

Marcelus Trojahn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   First of all, sorry about my poor english and my little knowledge
> about C proggramming.

Hi Marcelus! How are you?? (I'm Blug, from Abba's World! :-))

>   I'm getting some problems with lag that gethostbyaddr function
> causes when the player is logging on the mud.
>
>   My doubt is: is there a way to make gethostbyaddr runs in the
> background? I have saw it on a mud but I have no ideia how to make
> this...

I don't know any way for running gethostbyaddr() call on background,
except if you use threads, but this is a bit complicated for a simple
gethostbyaddr() call.

I sent a message to this list on last April 06, with a patch created by
me that uses the GNU adns resolver for this. Always remember to check
the archives! :-)

This message is archived on:
http://post.queensu.ca/cgi-bin/listserv/wa?A2=ind0004&L=circle&F=&S=&P=5032

The link on this message is no longer valid. Now my patch is found at
(the README is on the same file):
http://topazio.linkway.com.br/circle/adns-bpl17.patch.gz

If you have any problems installing this patch on your mud (I know that
your mud is based upon bpl15, and this patch is for bpl17), you can
e-mail me, and I will help you. :-)

Hum... I think it is time to upload it to CircleMUD FTP site... I will
do it this week.

Cordially,

----=[ Juliano Ravasi Ferraz ]=----=[ jferraz@linkway.com.br ]=----
Personally, I like my flying brains dark and evil.