Re: CON_Q...

From: Shane Lee (mudmaster@Randor.zzn.com)
Date: 07/08/00

 Since I didn't include my code I can understand your arguments
against the system that I use. In theory it has many loopholes, and
in the long run its very hard to de-bug, but it works the way I want
it to. I never meant to imply that it was fool-proof or stable, only
that there are alternatives to using 'nanny' to handle character
creations.
 The problem I constantly run into when dealing with descriptors as
opposed to characters is that I'm not really used to that particular
type of coding. Since I'm lazy, I would rather immediately bring the
player into the game and then code towards the character than to
learn how to deal with the more complicated descriptor.
 Using special-procedures definately expands the 'physical' size of
the MUD, but IMHO it's easier to understand and de-bug than the stock
character creation process.
 The few friends I have asked to test the whole process say that they
love it, and it took me less than a week to kill all the cheats
involved.
 As far as cheats go though, I am ashamed to admit that I like them,
and actually promote them in my code and administration. A player who
pays close attention can easily advance from level to level, gain
great quality EQ, and move from area to area quite quickly on my MUD
and that's the way I like it

-FIRE