Re: Circlemud/diku Licence

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 07/20/00

> >Like I said, though, we don't need retroactive changes to make this thing
> >work.  We simply need to make it clear that we permit relicensing
> >CircleMUD under the GPL.  This doesn't change the existing licenses, it
> >simply permits people to change licenses with our permission.  This is
> >most certainly within the rights of a copyright holder.
>
> Except we're limited by Diku, but you meantion that below...
>
> >Of course, this is all moot.  The least of our concerns on this issue
> >would be how we would go about relicensing CircleMUD.  As a derivative of
> >DikuMUD, we are bound by the terms and conditions of the DikuMUD license.
> >Unless we can get the Hans-Henrik, Tom, Sebastian, Michael, and Katja to
> >permit relicensing Diku, this is all talk and no walk.
>
> I didn't say it was possible, or likely, I said I would if we could. :)

        I mailed the diku 5, and asked how they'd feel about granting
permission to allow licencecees of diku and derivitive works to change to
the GPL license.  I gathered uptodate references for all of them but Tom
Madsen - his listed email bounced, and I could not find another valid
address.

        Are there rules about how many developers have to agree to a
license change before it can be considered 'changed' ?

                                                PjD