Re: Circlemud/diku Licence

From: Brandon (bennetb@sw2.k12.wy.us)
Date: 07/21/00

From: "Jeremy Elson" <jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG>
To: <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CIRCLE] Circlemud/diku Licence

> "Daniel A. Koepke" writes:
> >On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Patrick Dughi wrote:
> >> I mailed the diku 5, and asked how they'd feel about granting
> >> permission to allow licencecees of diku and derivitive works to change
> >> to the GPL license.
> >
> >I don't recommend everyone do this.  Spamming their e-mail box is
> >impolite, even if its an effective bullying tactic.
>
> Could you forward me their email addresses?  (The last ones I have for
> them are mostly out of date.)  I'll write them a note to let them know
> I'd be willing to change Circle over to GPL if they are.

Huh.. .Question.  Why GPL the code? Doesn't that mean that all code developers have to share their source code with the internet community?!?  I personally do not want to give up some trade secrets.  Newbies (like those found constantly on this list) won't program their own stuff and just rip off a whole mud?.  Well am I missing something here with the Gnu Public License (guess it is time to read a copy of it again)  What is wrong with the current license?!?  Is this the same as:  "Well everybody else is doing it with their programs".  I don't think the CircleMUD community has anything wrong with sharing code here and their, but it is their decision.  Anywho.  Sorry if I am missing something here

~Brandon