Re: [Newbie] Time out problem...

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 07/22/00

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, I wrote:

> Humm.  It takes 15 seconds for the idle timer to go off, unless you've
> changed something.  I can't imagine your players are not getting a visual
> cue that they're logged in and are unable to send any data for 15
> seconds...

Oops, I should have said, "I can't imagine your players are not getting a
visual cue that they're logged in and are unable to send any data for *30*
seconds."  True, check_idle_passwords() is called every 15 seconds, but
idle_tics is implemented so that it starts at 0 and must be non-zero
before it kicks someone off -- it will increment idle_tics if it's zero.
In effect, doubling the amount of time it takes to idle out.  So when you
change heartbeat() to call check_idle_passwords() every 30 seconds, you
are allowing a full minute of idle time on login.

And, yes, I know, it's easy to explain how people can get idled off
without a visual cue by saying, "lag," but that doesn't make it any easier
to imagine.  The game should be fairly unplayable with more than 30
seconds between entering a command and seeing the result.

-dak