Re: George Greer's Exp formula and bpl17 - errors

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 07/24/00

> sorry for the second post, but to be specific, i replaced the entire exp
> list switch(chclass), and used the formula defining the double's at the
> top of level_exp.  I included the same lib files, "stdio.h", "stdlib.h",
> "math.h" because i thought the pow function was contained in one of
> them, sorry, could be totally wrong on that.  but ohwell. I get these
> errors when compiling though,
>
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall    -c -o class.o class.c
> class.c:813: parse error before string constant
> class.c:813: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `basic_mud_log'
> class.c:813: conflicting types for `basic_mud_log'
> utils.h:23: previous declaration of `basic_mud_log'
> class.c:813: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> make[1]: *** [class.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/surgeon/surgeon/circle30bpl17/src'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

        The problem probably lies with the 'log' function.  By including
math.h, and compiling with the -lm option (that is, if you actually want
to use the mathematical functions), you are including a definition for log
which already exists (log as in math, and log as in syslog).  A long time
ago, I renamed the circlemud 'log' function on my system with a sed/awk
script. There are other solutions, but at the time, this was the easiest.

                                PjD