[Idea] [Code]

From: Jeremy Maloney (vagabond@newhaven.orisis.net)
Date: 07/30/00

I haven't heard any comments on the idea of placing a graphical based
combat screen up, during battle. My idea was fairly simple and It
could be alot of fun so here goes:

Alot of the older crowd will remember BBS(s) and door games that
were included in them. I ran a Fidonet BBS for years and had a few
doors, including a BBS Mud gateway.  One of the more favorite games,
was called the Pit, of course later there was a release of the Arena.
It was a simple game, designed to allow simple graphical interface
between the player and the server.. The screen looked something
like this.

*P* represents the Player
*M* represents the mobile.

===========================
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . M . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . P . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
===========================
Choose your command:

The basic combat interface was designed for only two online
combatants, however, I believe the latest version of this door
offers up to 10 people and a larger screen to maneuver.
Anyhow, basically it is a grid map that you maneuver on, using your
general mud commands. You can also cast your spells normally and Flee
normally. This variation of the battle screen is modified to a simpler
level to help with transition to a Mud.

It would allow for simple yet fun missile attacks as well as spells.
The interface would show hits by a * which would appear over the intended
target ie.

===========================
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . * . . .=   (Spell message: Your magic missile slams $n)
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . P . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=
=. . . . . . . . . . . . .=

I know it's sketchy, and if you want more information, feel free to
give me an email or stop by the Mud and we can discuss it further.

Jeremy M.
aka Hawk

The Vagabond Admin
(vagabond@newhaven.orisis.net)