Re: [Circle] Devilbunny and Graphical Editor Map

From: Dana Luther (dtluther@mindspring.com)
Date: 09/08/00

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Dughi <dughi@IMAXX.NET>

---snip---
>        The problem that I'm conceptulizing is that most circlemud zones,
>even stock zones, are not 3-d correct.  That isn't a problem, in and of
>itself, except that you get overlaps.  It destroys most of the purpose of
>having a map if you just plop down a series of disconnected nodes and say
>'yeah, it's a map'.
>
>        Perhaps generating a 'best fit' setup based on first come, first
>serve, and discard the conflicts to their own pool of disconnected nodes?
>Perhaps allowing the user to move the rooms around and have the editor
>save the new setup?
>
>        Maybe allow the overlap, just change the color of the room as a
>notification - when you click on it, one room pops up into a list-box type
>selection where you choose the one you want? *shrugs*
>
>        I dunno.  That's why I want people's suggestions.
>
>        Maybe a map is a stupid idea.
>
>                                                        PjD

My personal opinion (as opinions were requested *wink*)...

A map is a great idea  :-)

I think it would help to really get people to THINK about what they're
building and whether it makes sense or not.

I think these options would be best:

---snip paste---

>        Perhaps generating a 'best fit' setup based on first come, first
>serve, and discard the conflicts to their own pool of disconnected nodes?
>Perhaps allowing the user to move the rooms around and have the editor
>save the new setup?

---end paste---

Shift them out as disconnected, notifying the user of the conflict,  and
give them the option to resolve it.  There will be times where
overlap,distortion, or misdirection IS the desired effect -- in which
case... the idea of coloring the room and having a selection option of which
room to choose would make sense. However, I think that would have to be
deliberately chosen through the first "You have generated a room where one
already exists - resolution window" whatever that may be.

Umm... I hope that was in some way helpful and not entirely confusing.

Dana