Re: [CODE] Confuzius about pointers and stuff

From: The Merciless Lord of Everything (serces@mud.dk)
Date: 10/03/00

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Peter Ajamian wrote:

> That all depends, if it has survived 6 bpls like this (and without
> double checking myself), I would imagine that it is correct as-is.
I'm fully aware that it has survived for a long time, but that doesn't
necessarily make it correct :) Of course, "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it"

> The above will actually allocate space (of MAX_STRING_LENGTH chars) and
> create a variable which points to it.
That was merely an example, you could have it MAX_INPUT_LENGTH or
something similar, or create a MAX_XXXX_LENGTH :)

>  Note that unlike a pointer you cannot change what this variable
> points to, it is constant and will always point to the same area of
> memory.
I do realize that I would be grabbing a bit of memory, but a pointer
surely grabs memory as well yes? (be that random memory :). But I'm not
sure I understand the problem with having it point to the same area of
memory?

/S

Sir Alec Guinness
 - May the force be with you, Always!