[SYSTEM-LINUX] Slackware socklen_t compiling issue

From: Melissa Jadwinski (meersan@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/05/00

Speaking of compiling problems, I'm switching mud hosts (from a
mudservices.com host running Redhat, to a wolfpaw.net host running
Slackware).  I copied the mud over to the new host, removed config.cache,
config.status and config.log (just in case, I backed them up first) and
reran configure.  I then attempted to make, but got the following:

velocity:~/shameless/src$ make circle
make ../bin/circle
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mud/shameless/meer/shameless/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  comm.c
comm.c: In function `new_descriptor':
comm.c:1343: `socklen_t' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1343: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
comm.c:1343: for each function it appears in.)
comm.c:1343: parse error before `i'
comm.c:1350: `i' undeclared (first use this function)

I am not an advanced C coder, and sockets and operating system-dependent
things are way over my head.  Here's what I've tried so far:  I grepped
through the code looking for socklen_t, and didn't find any occurance other
than 1 line in comm.c: "  socklen_t i;".  I searched through the mailing
list archives but found nothing specific to this problem, nor anything
under 'Slackware' that seemed to fit.  I glanced through what configure
came up with, though when I ran configure on the new host, it said
'src/conf.h is unchanged'.

I kind of get the feeling that this socklen_t error may not be the only
problem I will see when attempting to compile my mud under Slackware.  Are
there any suggestions, or pointers to info?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some system info:
Running Circlebpl17 (hand-patched from bpl14, comm.c is virutally identical
to stock bpl17)
velocity:~/$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3
velocity:~/$ uname -a
Linux velocity 2.2.17 #1 Sat Sep 23 05:53:58 MDT 2000 i686 unknown

Melissa Jadwinski/meer@earthlink.net
Shameless meersan.net 4200