fightevent ..

From: The Merciless Lord of Everything (serces@mud.dk)
Date: 11/05/00

Hiya :)

Some time ago (Can't remember when) someone (can't remember who and it
doesn't say in the diff file :) made a fight_event.diff ;-) This changes
the fight system into an round based system instead of the "Everybody hits
at the same time" thingie :)

So far I've not had any problems with it besides some initial crashing
which occured very strangely, those were fixed (since it was a fault
somewhere else).

Now, I was playing around with the skills and a couple of things strikes
me as odd:

1. Rescue
When a player rescues another player (haven't tested it with mobs though),
opponent starts dual attacking?? Anyone else experienced this?

2. Dual Attack
Player starts killing mob, another mob springs into action, first mob
dies, player gets dual attack on second mob. (This is kinda hard to
exploit, but I've seen it done using fidos)

3. Walking out of battles.
Player A follows player B, Player A attacks mob, mob 1 is assisted by mob
2. Mob 1 dies, Player B walks out of the room, Player A follows, even
though Mob 2 is happily slashing away.

I have a suspicion that it might be the event system that is kinda screwed
up, that at least would explain the crashes like:

#0  0x4009c67c in chunk_free (ar_ptr=0x4012c580, p=0x8686d08) at
malloc.c:3020
#1  0x4009c505 in __libc_free (mem=0x8686d10) at malloc.c:2932
#2  0x804af6d in get_from_q (queue=0x86370bc, dest=0xbffff6c8 "kick",
    aliased=0xbffff684) at comm.c:1108
#3  0x804a3f2 in game_loop (mother_desc=4) at comm.c:655
#4  0x8049a89 in init_game (port=4000) at comm.c:296
#5  0x80499ee in main (argc=3, argv=0xbffffc84) at comm.c:263
#6  0x4005bcb3 in __libc_start_main (main=0x8049784 <main>, argc=3,
    argv=0xbffffc84, init=0x8048fb8 <_init>, fini=0x80d2fe4 <_fini>,
    rtld_fini=0x4000a350 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffffc7c)
    at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:78

In this case it is, Someone trying to kick something, and boom mud goes
byebye. But kick is not a problem all the time, I have no problem kicking
a mob into the next week if I like. From time to time the Mud decides to
explode like that.

any suggestions?

/S

Sir Alec Guinness