Re: [CODE] Snippets vs. patches

From: Angus Mezick (amezick@edgil.com)
Date: 11/09/00

Peter Ajamian wrote:
> "Shane P. Lee" wrote:
> >
> > I myself installed OasisOLC and DG Scripts by hand, and it was not a
> > good experience.
> > I shudder at the thought of having both of these patches snippetized,
> > the size alone would be mind-boggling.

> > :: Errm... Okay. Sorry, but .rej files only add to the confusion of the
> > addition for me. When that happened to me over OLC, I simply scrapped
> > everything and started from scratch, hand-patching this time. I would
> > be interested to hear from people out there on whether or not they do
> > the same thing.

I actually prefer to handpatch everything.  Even the default circle
source.  It is the ONLY way to know what is actually going into your mud.
It also lets you look at hunks of code that you might not have looked at in
a while.  And let us not forget that no patch should be used as-is.  Hand
patching gives you ideas about how to alter the patch/snippet so that it
better fits your idea of what a mud should be.
--Angus