Re: Passwords

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 12/07/00

Shane Lee wrote:

> I was wondering... Has anyone thought of sending '*'s instead of
> eating the return when a player types their password at the
> login screen?
> Like thus:
> By what name do you wish to be known? Fire
> Password: *******
> I think it would be neat, but I haven't been able to accomplish it...

While this can, in theory, be done it would require setting the input
buffer to character mode, turning echo off, and manually sending a * for
each character entered.  Quite a bit of work and added overhead for
something that just barely falls into the category of "neat".  Also
consider that most players probably have clients that automate the login
process for them and so they won't ever notice or care.

Regards, Peter