Re: circlemud.net is down, why no backup?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/04/01

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>George Greer wrote:
>>
>> The problem isn't the availability of a secondary server. The actual DNS
>> file has:
>>
>>                         NS              cambot.circlemud.org.
>>                         NS              dns.m-l.org.
>>
>Should've been able to get at least that when I did a ls -d in nslookup,
>that timed out as well.

Except network connectivity to the machine was dead so you can't access it.

 10:34am  up 110 days, 14:26,  5 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.02, 0.00

>$dig @A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. circlemud.net. ns
[...]
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>circlemud.net.          2D IN NS        CAMBOT.CIRCLEMUD.ORG.
>
>;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
>CAMBOT.CIRCLEMUD.ORG.   2D IN A         128.9.160.111

If you query Cambot itself, you'll get the proper response. It appears
nameservers will query Cambot for nameservers after the original
(root|gtld)-server query times out. I _do_ get requests for circlemud.net
at dns.m-l.org.

In fact, this gtld-server has the right entry:

dig @l.gtld-servers.net. circlemud.net. ns

Odd.

--
George Greer