Re: [NEWBIE] Compiling a stock circle I got from ceramicmouse

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/24/01

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, George Greer wrote:
>
>> If we ever autogenerated documentation, sure.  Until then there isn't
>> anything else actually made except in src/.
>
>That was part of the reason why, since I figured it wouldn't hurt to
>provide the documentation in HTML, PostScript, or whatever else.  Since
>Jeremy is autogenerating the docs (isn't he?  I seem to recall him getting
>tired of using SGML, though), it only makes sense to provide users the
>same level.

He used to, until SGMLtools died.  Now we have useless source documents. :)

>One other reason was that I was reluctant to have a Makefile rule in src/
>that deletes files in a directory above it.  With the warning, of course,
>it's really their fault if they do it and don't abort when they have a
>chance.

We can have a 'Makefile' do './configure && cd src && make' as the
top-level file.

>The next thought was to change the ref rules to autogenerate documentation
>in doc/ref/ from src/, rather than hardcoding Jeremy's home directory in
>there.

Knock yourself out. :)

>    % tar xyf circle30bpl18.tar.bz2
>    % cd circle30bpl18
>    % ./configure; make; autorun &
>
>Would get a mud up.  Not that using 'cd src/' and 'cd ..' make it any
>harder, or that we necessarily want people to be able to type three
>commands to have a Mud up-and-running...

Why do anything other than just 'make' ?  You can have a dummy makefile run
the configuration.  I'm not opposed to a global Makefile, we just haven't
needed it yet.