Re: NOWHERE, NOBODY, NOTHING tests...

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/05/01

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>> You should never have a -2, -3, -4, etc.
>
>Exactly my point.  If you should never have them then why not report a
>SYSERR in the case where we get them instead of crashing?

If you modify your own MUD to add a -2 value for rooms and the MUD breaks,
you get to keep both pieces.

End of story.

You've crossed the point our design handles so now you get to play with it.
We try to avoid possible problems within the framework of the game:
        CREATE
        CHECK_PLAYER_SPECIAL
        VALID_RNUM
        GET_OBJ_VNUM
        NULL pointers to str_cmp, etc.
        Damaging POS_DEAD people.
        ...etc..
but we do not pretend to know everything anyone will ever do to a MUD and
how to prevent it. It's a lot easier to just corrupt memory if you want to
crash the MUD.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org