Re: [NEWBIE][CODE] invalid_race/invalid_class

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/10/01

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Note however, that in two recent posts about people modifying that
>function, they both initially got the mod right for that function, the
>problem for both of them was in the #defines, they just thought that that
>function was the problem because that's where the compiler was stopping.
>The change you made would not have affected them but it may just confuse
>newbie coders who are trying to follow the older snippet since the
>snippets will no longer show the correct way to modify the function.

Now the problem can be easily noticed on the proper line and is less likely
to be mistaken for a ()-counting error in the class function itself.  It's
not the perfect solution, but it's a good step.

>Hrmmm, looks easier to modify, but I can't help thinking there's gotta be
>a cleaner way to do all that.  I'm wondering if the test can be
>bitvectorized to be able to combine all the testing into one...

IS_OBJ_STAT(obj, 1 << (GET_CLASS(ch) + 12))

Not that it'll work due to ITEM_NOSELL.  It's also a hack because it relies
on the particular values.

>So why did I post it in the first place?  Because it might be something
>to consider if you ever decide that trashing the object files is
>necessary for a different reason.  It would work especially well if you
>want to move the ITEM_ANTI flags off to thier own separate bitvector in
>which case you could just force them to line right up with the classes.

Or make a less black-and-white system for equipping. Allow mages to equip a
long sword, but they get a huge penalty and can't cast with it wielded.
Clerics attacking with slashing weapons become "fallen" (assuming their
'god' gets uptight about that).  Thieves using two-handed swords don't
sneak or hide so well.  ...etc...