Has anyone...

From: Shane P. Lee (tacodog21@yahoo.com)
Date: 03/15/01

Did the subject catch your attention? I'm hoping eveyone on the
list reads this:
Has anyone found an effective way to query the new connections
in order to determine the type and version of the telnet client
making the connection?
I'm asking for a couple of reasons. First, I want to be able to
effeciently parse the color codes according to the user's client.
I can easily determine whether the user would be able to recieve
underlined or blinking codes and not send them, thus saving a
small ammount of memory. Not much, but my sysadmin is getting a
little testy lately, besides it would just be neat to have.
Also, this would give me an idea of just which client is the
most popular among my long-term players and such.

As a side note, I asked before for help with allowing ssh clients
to login. I remember only one promising reply. The author (I
forget who it was) said that it was actually fairly simple and
went on to confuse me even more than I was before I asked the
question. They may or may not have promised me some bits of code
that I could adapt myself, but I never received it.
Now that I'm thinking hard about it, it seems there was some sort
of copyright conflict that prevented them from releasing the
code to the public.
Anyways, it would be nice to have my imms connected through
ssh, instead of the easily hackable telnet.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated,
-FIRE

p.s. Rob, that gdb script you sent me is EXACTLY what I was looking
for! You should seriously consider releasing that to the community
so everyone could have a go at it, thanks :-)

=====
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
    -- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary