Re: ASCII vs. Binary vs. SQL vs ...

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 04/04/01

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

> As long as we're expanding to other alternatives, though, why not look
> into other formats as well?  One that comes to mind is Berkley DB
> (take your pick between 1, 2 or 3).

Ack!  Berkeley.  Not Berkley.  Even the hippies would get upset over that.
But at least it wasn't in reference to the school.  Then I might've had to
kill you with one of those twisty ties they include with garbage bags.

As for BerkeleyDB... well, you don't need to use it directly.  As I
mentioned, talking about SQL here is sort of off-topic -- SQL is a
language for querying databases.  MySQL uses (or, can use) BerkeleyDB as a
backend; hence you get SQL and BerkeleyDB.  Still, you may consider using
it separately.  At least some of the TinyMUD family did.

BerkeleyDB also supports B+Tree access methods, persistent queues, etc.
For more information, go straight to the source:

  http://www.sleepycat.com/

-dak