Re: [CODE] Saving Non-Native Shop Items

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/29/01

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Edward Felch wrote:
>>
>> More information:
>> FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
>>
>> Truly though, the gdb output doesn't seem helpful, at one point it crashed
>> and had ?? within the loading function. Now it seems spiteful and crashs
>> early on:
>> #0  0x281c1948 in fclose () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
>> (gdb) back
>> #0  0x281c1948 in fclose () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
>> #1  0x807843d in init_game (port=9991) at comm.c:392
>
>Switch to frame #1 and list the source there.  Print the values of any
>variables that are even mentioned on that line and if the problem
>doesn't stick out at you yet post back with that info.

(gdb) p (char)0x28
$1 = 40 '('
(gdb) p (char)0x1c
$2 = 28 '\034'
(gdb) p (char)0x19
$3 = 25 '\031'
(gdb) p (char)0x48
$4 = 72 'H'
(gdb)

Almost ASCII text... Perhaps a color code or something?

BTW, 'bt full' in GDB is quite useful.  I'd also recommend checking out
Electric Fence (libefence).  Efence will show you when corruptions occur in
most cases instead of the usual behavior of crashing when someone accesses
the corruptiuon.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org