Re: Poll: global buffers

From: Carlos Myers (farix@stargate.net)
Date: 07/20/01

From: "George Greer" <greerga@circlemud.org>
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Thomas Jones wrote:
>
> >George Greer wrote:
> >
> >>Who thinks the global buffers (buf, buf1, buf2, arg) need to go?
> >>Who wants to keep them?
> >>and why?
> >>
> >>I'm curious.
>
> >I'm not very experienced at Circle coding yet, but as I rule I HATE
> >global anything.  I do use them sometimes but I hate them none the less.
>
> Oh, why? What's wrong with global variables in your opinion?
>
> Not that I'm encouraging anything, but I'm interested in knowing why.

Globals are often taught as poor programming technique.  The philosophy is
that all the data a function needs will either be passed to it or is self
generated.  But in the case of a few globles in CircleMUD, there are few
good ways to pass around some data around, such as the indexes and
constants, without resorting to globles.

Carlos