PING - email possibilities?

From: Shane Lee (tacodog21@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/19/01

I'm looking at different ways that I would be able to check to
see if an email address exists, for purposes of my Mercury
email system for CircleMUD.
I ran across the idea of using ping, but kinda ran into
a tricky situation. While ping readily transmits packets to
www.yahoo.com and mail.yahoo.com, it won't recognize my
email address: tacodog21@yahoo.com.
So, I was hoping maybe someone on this list might be able
to help me out.
Here's my plan: When a person finishes an email in Mercury, I
want to cehck to see if the address in the To: field will
accept the email. Otherwise, you end up with a dead-letter,
and if this happens too often, a perturbed sysadmin.
Right now, the dead-letter is shunted to the inbox of the MUD
account, and I certainly don't want to open a security hole
by having Mercury check the inbox.
If there's another, easier method, or anything at all that would
work, I would be happy to hear about it.

-FIRE

| Get your MUD on @ Euridia.com!                                   |  __  |
| http://www.euridia.com -- Your ultimate MUD resource             | (oO) |
| telnet://euridia.com:4545 -- Euridia MUD                         | /||\ |
| telnet://euridia.com:4000 -- The E2K Project                     |      |