Re: Poll for information

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 08/21/01

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Mysidia wrote:

>IMO, look to the smaug codebase for guidance on this one.. group objects
>that are exactly the same (except containers that have stuff in them)
>into one structure and have a count item. For one it saves memory and
>makes for nicer, readable output.. it's also nice for things such as
>'show rent' -- people tend to bag lots of small items like bread so they
>can have that midnight snack!

I think it's the same idea though I haven't looked at SMAUG code.

>I've made these very alterations to a circle-based mud before, so
>it is indeed possible.. the only thing that gave me problems
>at first was a certain set of routines in shop.c...

That's the entire reason for this change, actually.  The shop.c code goes
through a lot of contortions just to get a count of the objects but the
rest of the code would benefit from the exact same thing.  So if I clean up
the shop.c code, we get stacking/grouping/joining/blah free.  By itself the
stacking is not critical enough to add but clean up makes it nice.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org