Re: Patches/Diffs (fwd)

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/12/01

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Patrick Dughi wrote:
>
>>         This is in regard to a discussion from a while ago, that I
>> can't even remember....  May have some info for those of you who'd
>> like to create patches, etc, and need to link in GPL'ed software.
>>
>>         In brief, 'no you can't *hits you with a stick*'.
>
>Mr. Turner is wrong.  Maybe the FSF really intends the GPL to restrict
>this kind of thing, but he's dead wrong if he thinks it can.  An interface
>cannot be copyrighted.  If you write the code that is making use of the
>interface, the code belongs to you.  MySQL can copyright its code and its
>documentation.  That doesn't mean they have any rights whatsoever to your
>use of their interface, even if you distribute it.

From /usr/share/doc/mysql/manual.txt:

   - You do not need a license to include the client code in commercial
     programs.  The client part of *MySQL* licensed with the LGPL `GNU
     Library General Public License'. The `mysql' command-line client
     includes code from the `readline' library that is under the `GPL'.

Daniel's right too.  Otherwise we'd all be subject to the Sun Solaris
kernel license whenever we compiled a program on that platform.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org