Re: [NEWBIE] bpl19 with OLC DG script and ??

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/25/01

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Caniffe wrote:

>Hello,
>
>> Makes me wonder if the bar for a basic MUD has been raised beyond what we
>> provide...
>
>Personally, I feel there should be some OLC package in CircleMUD.  It
>doesn't necessarily have to be Oasis, but it might solve the syndrome of
>"I saw it on this other mud, why can't Circle have it instead of X".

There is an OLC system in CircleMUD, it's just that:

/*
 * PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T TRY TO USE THIS YET!!!
 *  *** DO *** NOT *** SEND ME MAIL ASKING WHY IT DOESN'T WORK -- IT'S
 *  NOT DONE!!
 */

That warning has worked very well, BTW.  Not a single question about it
since I can remember. :)

>I know NoteOLC was a concept going around a while back through George.
>Has this concept died?

Kind of forgot about it.  Must've flushed all OLC-related projects from my
mind when I gave up OasisOLC (finally). I doubt the current line editor is
powerful enough to make NoteOLC possible.  The improved editor would do but
then that's shoving another change in.

>I dunno - might just be old school.  I just believe it'll save one
>thousand nightmares to have Oasis bundled in with the package.  The
>argument against it a while ago was that it was felt that people wanted a
>choice, and didn't want to be burdened with a certain OLC system.

If I were to integrate OasisOLC into CircleMUD (which I'm NOT committing
to) I'd put OBuild in too. Except I'd actually follow through with my
original GenOLC idea and make OBuild use it.  I wouldn't stand for the sort
of functional duplication that would result from both systems in
unmodified.

>Is now not the time to perhaps have a preset OLC system, given that 3.0
>is likely to be wrapped up soonish?

Given past history I don't want to comment on that:

--- 8< --- ChangeLog --- 8< ---
JE = Jeremy Elson (jelson@circlemud.org)        Since Jul 16, 1993
AE = Alex Fletcher (furry@circlemud.org)        Since Feb 23, 1995
GG = George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)       Since Oct 14, 1997
DK = Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)   Since Jul 11, 1999

<joke> New applicants must have a last name alphabetically after
'Koepke' and will only be accepted on December 2, 2001. </joke>

CircleMUD 3, going since August '94. :)

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org

[ And Chris Epler fits somewhere between JE and AE. Why AE and not AF? Good
question.  I could add the 'A.' to my name and line up better with Daniel
though. ]